How to clean your makeup brushes

Thursday, October 6, 2016

(Don't mind my dirty brushes since these photos were all taken before they were cleaned)

I don't know about you, but I always seem to put off cleaning my makeup brushes. It's a really bad habit that I need to get out of! Every time I clean them I think to myself: "That's it! Going forward I'm cleaning my brushes once a week." Then an entire month goes by and I realize I haven't washed them. It's bad, but it's life and I'm convinced that everyone is like this! I used to really hate cleaning my brushes because all the cleaners I used wouldn't get the job done as well as I wanted them to. Luckily I've found a routine that is super quick yet still offers a deep clean.
You will need:

A hand towel
A place for your brushes to dry out on

Bowl of water/tap
I prefer using a running tap, but you can also use a bowl of water. (I was watching the newest episode of Once Upon a Time so I didn't want to be stuck in the bathroom when I could be in the living room)

Baby shampoo 
Out of all the cleansers I have used over the years, this is definitely my favourite! It's super gentle and creates a great lather. Not to mention it is super cheap!!
Step One
Lay down the hand towel to avoid drips and spills. Put your bowl of water on top and lay out all your brushes

Step Two
Squeeze out a small amount of baby shampoo into the palm of your hand. I try and squeeze out a nickel size amount which should be enough for 2-3 brushes, depending on their size and the product buildup. 

Step Three
Dip your brush into the water. You don't need to place it all the way to the handle, just enough to have an even distribution of water on the ends. 

Step Four
Rub the brush around in circular motions on your palm until the shampoo is lathered.

Step Five
Rinse the brush in the water and repeat step four if there is still makeup on the bristles.

Step Six
Very gently dry off the excess water using a paper towel.

In order for your brushes to dry properly, lay them on a flat surface, evenly spaced, with the bristles in their natural position. I like to keep them like this until the next morning to ensure they are completely dry and not damp.

And there you have it! Clean brushes that are soft and look brand new!

Save

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Simplicity File. Design by Fearne.